Contact SCV.org

Contact SCV.org

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

CALCASIEU GREYS -- April 2012

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting of Captain James W. Bryan Camp 1390 will be from 6-8 p.m., Tuesday, April 10, at Piccadilly Cafeteria in Prien Lake Mall in Lake Charles. Comptriot Luke Dartez will give the program on Louisiana Brig. Gen. Alfred Mouton.
April is Confederate History  Month and we also have plenty of activities to discuss. There is the Spring Festival at Niblett's Bluff, the big reenactment at Pleasant Hill and the grave marker dedication in Bivens Cemetery. Please attend the meeting and take part in as many activities as you can.


William Alfred Cochran Sr.
Veteran of the 13th Texas Cavalry
(Photo courtesy of Al Cochran)

 

GRAVE MARKER DEDICATION

     Compatriot Al Cochran is inviting all compatriots to the  Confederate Grave Marker dedication ceremony honoring his ancestor, William Alfred Cochran Sr. on Saturday, April 28 at 11:00 am at the Bivens Cemetery in Bivens, La. (outside of Merryville).
     Captain James W. Bryan Camp 1390 Color Guard will be taking part in the ceremony. April is Confederate History Month and this is an excellent event to celebrate the month.
       William Alfred Cochran Sr. was a native of the Republic of Texas, having been born there on October 20, 1839. A Southern patriot, Cochran joined Company H of the 13th Texas Cavalry under Colonel John H. Burnett. The regiment was organized at Crockett, Texas, during the winter of 1861-1862 with about 900 men. Some of its members were from Centerville, Crockett, Madisonville. It was assigned to O. Young's and Waul's Brigade in the Trans-Mississippi Department. The unit participated in various conflicts in Louisiana and Arkansas including the engagement at Jenkins' Ferry. It disbanded during the late spring of 1865.
     Cochran died March 11, 1923 in Bivens, Louisiana and is buried in the Bivens Cemetery.


SCV GEC calls on Museum of the Confederacy to fly flag at new facility


Photo by Mike Jones

     [Editor's note: The following resolution was passed by the  General Executive Council of the Sons of Confederate Veterans]
Resolution adopted unanimously by the GEC March 26, 2012:
      These being the facts: The Museum of the Confederacy has long been on a path to downplay it's role in commemorating the Confederacy. It is opening a new facility in Appomattox where it refuses to display a Confederate flag on a pole outside the building.
      Thus be it resolved: The General Executive Council of the Sons of Confederate Veterans does call upon the Museum of the Confederacy to display a Confederate Flag on a pole on the outside of the Appomattox facility. That such a display is both historically accurate and morally necessary.
     Be it also resolved: The General Executive Council of the Sons of Confederate Veterans does strongly urge it's Compatriots not to be participants in the opening ceremony of said facility. To do so lends credence to the claims of those refusing to display the Confederate flag in its proper station.
      

LOUISIANA DIVISION REUNION 2012

                The Louisiana Division SCV Reunion 2012 will be held May 11 and 12 at the Holiday Inn West,  5555 Financial Plaza, Shreveport. Registration is $15.
               

PLEASANT HILL REENACTMENT 2012 SCHEDULE

      The annual Battle of Pleasant  Hill reenactment will  be held Saturday and Sunday,  April 14-15, on the actual battlefield, about 3 miles north of the present town of Pleasant Hill.
      Here is the schedule for the event:
Festival / Parade / Re-enactment

April 14th, 2012 (Saturday)
Event: Breakfast
Time: 6:00 - 10:00 AM
Place: American Legion Hall
Event: Parade
Time: 10:00 AM
Place: Downtown Pleasant Hill
For more information contact Erin Stockton if you would like to be in the parade 601-297-2178 or email ewhstockton@yahoo.com
Parade Application
Event: Open Camp Activities
Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Event: Battle Re-enactment at Pleasant Hill
Opening Ceremonies: 1:30 PM
Time: 2:00 PM
Event: Confederate Ball and Court Presentation
Time: 7:30 PM
Place: American Legion Hall
Must be in period dress to participate. Those not in period dress may observe.

April 15th, 2012 (Sunday)
Event: Breakfast
Time: 6:00 - 10:00 AM
Place: American Legion Hall
Event: Open Camp Activities
Time: 10:00 AM to Noon
Event: Church Services (open to all)
Time: 10:00 AM
Event: Mail Call
Time: After Church
Event: Battle Re-enactment at Pleasant Hill
Pleasant Hill re-enactments and activities in the re-enactors camp will take place 3 miles north of Pleasant Hill at 23271 Hwy. 175, Pelican, LA

150-Years-Ago THE BATTLE OF KERNSTOWN, Virginia

Gen. Stonewall Jackson
The Richmond Daily Dispatch
March 31, 1862

     The Rockingham Register, of March 28th furnishes some detail of the fight at Kernstown, near Winchester, Va. We make some extracts, and refer the reader to the original account in another column of this paper for fuller details.
     As in the case of battles generally, many exaggerated and incorrect reports have gained circulation respecting the battle on Sunday last, between the forces of General Jackson and Gen. Shields, near Winchester. The belles is entertained in some quarters that General Jackson was most disastrously defeated. Not so, however. General Jackson's gallant little army maintained their ground fully until the shades of night closed on the felicity contending forces, and compelled each party to retire and so far as the result of the contest is indicative of victory, the triumph is on the side of General Jackson. His loss is not over fifty killed and one hundred and fifty wounded, while the loss of the enemy, both in killed and wounded, is, beyond doubt, at least three times that number. One regiment alone of the enemy lost fully half its men, by attempting to dislodge a regiment of Gen. Jackson, protected by a fence. When night came on Gen. Jackson retired with the great body of his army in good order, saving all his wagons and horses, and everything except two or three field-pieces (the horses of which had been killed) and two ambulances. This battle was a decided victory to our arms, and reflects the highest credit on the little Confederate army, that stood upon gallantly for two or three hours against. more than three times their number.
     After the battle, Gen. J. retired for the night immediately in the vicinity of the battle ground which is another indication that he was not defeated; and the following morning he retired slowly from Newtown to the vicinity of Strasburg, the enemy making no advance until a late hour in the forenoon.
     The proportion of wounded to the number killed of Gen. J's men, is large, yet it is gratifying to know that but few are seriously or mortally wounded.
Pvt. John J. Rhodes, Co. K,  5th Va. Inf.
(Library of Congress)
     The regiments engaged were the 2d Virginia, (Col. Allen,) 4th Va., 5th Va.33d Va., (Colonel Cummings,) 27th Virginia, (Colonel Echols, who was wounded in the right arm) 23d Virginia, 37th Virginia, the far famed Irish Battalion, the 21st Va., Ashby's Cavalry, Rockbridge Battery, (Col. Pendleton, who lost two Parrott guns.) West Augusta Battery, Carpenter's Battery, and Chew's Battery.
     Gen. Jackson has returned to Mt. Jackson, and will be ready, should the enemy come up the Valley high enough, to give him a chance to try his mettle again. Let every man now rally to the standard of the heroic Jackson, and assist in driving out the invader of our peaceful homes. Our Valley is surely worth the effort for its preservation.
     The Lynchburg Republican says:
We regret to hear that Captain William Bayliss Rector, from Campbell county, is reported among the killed in the late battle near Winchester. Private Walker Brown, a son of the Rev. Richard G. Brown, of this county, also shared the fate of his brave commander. There are four men missing from the company, who are supposed to have been taken prisoners. We could not ascertain their names.
     The Lynchburg Virginian has further advices, from which we copy:
The Second Virginia Regiment commanded by Colonel Allen, and composed chiefly of Jefferson and Frederick men, seems to have suffered terribly. Amongst the killed and wounded reported are several of our personal friends. Lieutenant Richard Henry Lee, wounded, was the Commonwealth's Attorney for the county of Jefferson, an elegant and accomplished Christian gentleman, who bears a great historic name. We sincerely trust that he is not seriously wounded. T H. Turner, of Shepherdstown, Jefferson county, represented his native county in the Legislature some years since, as did also his father before him. He was attached to the command of the late Colonel John F. Hamtramck, who commanded the Virginia Regiment in the Mexican war. We regret to hear that he was killed. Many of the best men in our native county of Jefferson were in the Second regiment, and we fear that little county, now overrun by the enemy, will be full of mourning for her gallant sons, slain by the ruffians and marauders of the North. B. B.

SCV GEC calls on Museum of the Confederacy to fly flag at new facility

[Editor's note: The following resolution was passed by the  General Executive Council of the Sons of Confederate Veterans]

The South's Defneder Photo.
Resolution adopted unanimously by the GEC March 26, 2012
      These being the facts: The Museum of the Confederacy has long been on a path to downplay it's role in commemorating the Confederacy. It is opening a new facility in Appomattox where it refuses to display a Confederate flag on a pole outside the building.
      Thus be it resolved: The General Executive Council of the Sons of Confederate Veterans does call upon the Museum of the Confederacy to display a Confederate Flag on a pole on the outside of the Appomattox facility. That such a display is both historically accurate and morally necessary.
     Be it also resolved: The General Executive Council of the Sons of Confederate Veterans does strongly urge it's Compatriots not to be participants in the opening ceremony of said facility. To do so lends credence to the claims of those refusing to display the Confederate flag in its proper station.



An unidentified Confederate cavalryman with a slant breech
 Sharp's carbine, two knives and two  revolvers.
 Photographs, Library of Congress)

MANSFIELD BATTLEFIELD MUSEUM


MANSFIELD -- Effective March 19, Mansfield State Historic Site will close to the public due to renovations of the site’s museum. Renovations include the installation of new track lighting, flooring and wall treatments in preparation for new exhibits about the historic Civil War battles at Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. The site is scheduled to reopen by the end of April.
          The new exhibit is scheduled to be installed in late July. The exhibit will feature artifacts, letters,
uniforms, and other materials related to the battle of Mansfield, the Red River Campaign of 1864 and the everyday life of the Civil War Soldier. Other themes include the impact of the war on the lives of local community members, as well as the roles played by women, slaves and freed slaves.
          The Battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill were significant losses for the Union Army, possibly
delaying the end of the Civil War by several months. The Red River remained in Confederate

hands until the end of the war as a result of the Battle of Mansfield.   In 1973, Mansfield State Historic Site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, an honorary designation for significant historical sites. The site is located in De Soto Parish, four
miles south of the town of Mansfield, along La.
175. The site hosts tours daily, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.

MUSEUM NEWS
   (From the  March 2012 Newsletter of Memorial Hall Foundation)
               Museum Curator Patricia Ricci was recently the recipient of the Jefferson Davis Historical Gold Medal. The Medal was presented in a ceremony held by the Louisiana Division United Daughters of the Confederacy, Raphael Semmes Chapter 2218. The Medal recognizes her significant contributions to the cause of preserving Confederate history. Patricia has been at Memorial Hall for 32 years.
                The Museum was recently featured in an AP news story that ran in papers and on websites around the world. While the article contained numerous errors and misstatements of facts, it did generate significant interest and aided in increasing our attendance. The attendance has been steadily climbing in 2012 and our outlook is optimistic  for the coming year due to the many sporting and cultural activities the City of New Orleans will be hosting.
                A United States Commemorative Postage Stamp will be unveiled Tuesday April 24, 2012 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Fall of New Orleans. The ceremony will be held at the World War 2 Museum. The Memorial Hall Museum will sell first day covers and commorative postcards to commemorate this event.
                Memorial Hall is currently producing a DVD outlining its history. The DVD will be sold in the gift shop and will be circulated to organizations to solicit funding for Memorial Hall.
                The University of  Houston, Bauer Business College is currently upgrading the Memorial Hall Foundation's web-page. The newly designed page will allow members to renew their dues on line, make donations, purchase items from the gift shop as well as view a selection of  items from the museum displays.
                An exhibit to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the  Battle of Shiloh will open in early April.
                Confederate Memorial Hall Museum is located at 929 Camp St., New Orleans, La., phone, (504) 523-4522; memhall@aol.com; www.confederatemuseum.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment